Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ten for Tuesday

My sisters do this each week, sharing 10 items from the past week, so I will follow suit.
1.Week 1 of Vern's masters program is done and things went smoothly at home. We are eating early, cleaning up and going to bed early..weird (won't happen when soccer starts next month). Although Vern just found out that he has a final next week. He thought it was a 6 week course...nope 3 weeks.
2. Benjamin built a swimming pool in his room. I heard him yell..."Mom, come see my pool!" I had no clue what he could have done. But he didn't fail me in making me surprised. He and his cousin had emptied both of his bookshelves completely and covered his floor with books...making a swimming pool.


3. Little Vern came in last Thursday morning from playing and said..."Mom, the tree is dead." I thought he meant that our neighbors tree was dead because no one lives there...nope...our beautifully green and orange blooming tree as of a week ago was dead. So, sad. We have no idea how it died so fast...couldn't be the ridiculous heat and 40+ humidity. So after 8 years of giving us great oranges it died. So very sad.

4. I got my haircut today! Yahoo. It was looking shaggy. I love how a new hair cut makes me feel lighter for a day. Hopefully I don't fall asleep before Vern gets home so he can see it styled.
5. My kids are loving school. Yahoo. Elena is getting her homework done and I am relearning math concepts. I am so excited that she is studying history now. This week she had to study about Samuel de Champlain.
6. Saturday morning I decided to help the girls keep a cleaner room by taking the toys out of their room. That then forced me to clean and rearrange the office which made me change out a desk in the family room. So after a long Saturday we got three rooms rearranged and clean. I just love to rearrange...I think it is a slight illness.
7. We got to go swimming at Ammon and Emilee Wolfley's pool on Saturday afternoon. All the Wolfley's minus Sarah and her family were there. It was fun. The family sure has grown in numbers (I won't comment on size). We ate super yummy carne asada and bean dip with chips. The Wolfleys sure know how to eat well.
8. I went to the 40th Birthday party of Mary Roestenberg on Saturday night (yes...it was a busy day). It was fun. Just a few couples and us went to Bucca di Beppo to celebrate. I have tended her two children from more than 5 years. She is a wonderful mother and friend. I wish her many more wonderful years.
9. I work with the young women in my ward (church congregation). This month has been Standards Month, where we discuss the standards we live by so that we can be better people. It has been a great month. We had an etiquette dinner, served the women in the ward, visited a family history center, played fun games, etc. This past Sunday 4 of the youth in our ward and another leader spoke during Sacrament Mtg. They gave amazing talks about different standards of the church...family, service, the atonement and recognizing truths in our lives. There was a wonderful spirit in church and it renewed my hope in the youth of these days. They are Triumphant Pure and Strong.
10. I am proud to report that I am sticking to our family menu well. It is a good feeling to know what I am preparing for dinner each day and not be freaking out at 4:30pm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the swimming pool. Looks like you got to reorganize the books also. So glad that Vern's school went well.

Anonymous said...

I want to see photos of the 3 arranged rooms! So it could be nice that one of his classes is over soon right? can he come home earlier?

Kindy said...

Karen - no, he only has one class at a time. When it ends the next one begins.

Kari said...

Love the swimming pool! You beat me on getting a post out - I am doing mine today!