The whole crew was ready to make Freezer Strawberry Jam this morning...since we only had 1/2 inch left in our jar. Opps. Thank goodness strawberries are on sale this week. Making jam makes me feel like I am slightly like a pioneer (making my own food), but then I think about my Bosch and food chopper and I realise I am not a pioneer. Oh well.
We love freezer jam and as I have made it for years now we've learned some great things to use.
First...a wonderful funnel such as this one that my sister, Kim, found for me. Thank you! No more crazy messes as we pour the jam.
2nd...Plastic Peanut Butter Jars to store the jam. Sherri Davis taught me that a few months back. Use old PB jars that are plastic and it saves on the glass jars. Perfect for my home. No kidding...before we started with these jars we would loose one jar from each batch because it was dropped and it broke. Yahoo! More jam to eat!
3rd ...Certo Premium Liquid Fruit Pectin. My mom found it last fall on clearance and grabbed us all a ton. It is great. You just pour it into the mixture. No need for boiling. Wahoo! One less pan to use.
Here is our final product waiting to go to the freezer and then be tasty jam! We love strawberry freezer jam.
This time I actually ate some of the strawberries before mixing them up...they sure brought back summer to me...just the taste and suddenly I was at home in NY eating them out of my mom's patch!




7 comments:
You're going to have to teach me sometime. It looked sooooo yummy today.
your such a nice mom letting your kids help. I found the liquid pectin last christmas and it was even cheaper than the regular stuff. Love it
How fun! It looks like Izzy and Aident had fun too. Love the smily faces!
Yum!
Do you miss NY often? It must be very different trying to recreate a garden here in Arizona when you grew up in such a lush landscape.
Yes Lisa, I do miss NY. Especially with the gardening aspect. You could just plant in the ground and you didn't have to add anything to the soil. I still feel lost every year planting in February.
Ooohhh that looks so YUMMY! I haven't made freezer jelly in years. You inspire me!
Post a Comment